Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Tragedy of Politicized Politics

I'd like to think of myself as a dedicated consumer of  current events.  I do my best to stay informed and solicit information from a wide array of resources (though admittedly pretty much the  The New York Times, NPR and Google).  That is why ultimately I am very confused about the recent stories surrounding the tragedy out of Tucson this week.

I had occasion to hear about the shootings on the radio this Saturday.  Listening to public radio as they gave an account of the shootings, like most, I was saddened at the comprehensive and senseless violence. 

Later in the day, while putting away Christmas decorations, I checked Google News to see if there were any other developments.  I was pleased to see that Gifford's condition was stable, though saddened to hear of the other victims of the shooting.  And then I started to see articles about how the right wing pundits were crying  foul at being blamed for the tragedy.   First I saw an article about Rush Limbaugh.  Then another about Sarah Palin.  And so on.  It occured to me that blaming Rush & co would be stupid distraction from tragic import of these events..

Certainly I have been troubled that the tone of political rhetoric in the last few years was somewhat atavistic.  We continually seem to approach politics like a "zero sum" game in America, where only one side can be right, and the other clearly wronged headed and bent on the destruction of the country.  This rhetoric or demagoguery cannot serve or sustain us in the long term.  It does not aid our Democratic process, but only functions  to perpetuate intractable ideologies (and increase ratings, lecture fees or book sales).  With so many people out of work, losing their homes or just plain feeling the stifling pressure of bad "times", it seems we can least afford to indulge in "politics as contact sport" as we meander into the 2nd decade of this century.  So I try to ignore the divisive entertainment and find optimism and a silver lining.

But using the Tucson tragedy as opportunity poke the eye of the Right-Wing pundits is in bad taste and would be counter-productive.  Who were these people making these base accusation?   Where are  the articles, editorials, news clips?  What were their names and what were these pinheads saying? 

I searched all the news outlets I could find.  I've carefully combed the New York Times, the editorials.  I've reviewed the Washington Post; Fox News, CBS news, etc, etc.  I've been on the lookout for some snarky Keith Doberman rants.  Or some self-righteous Anderson Cooper asides.  But I cannot seem to find any.    Yet, aside from numerous Facebook comments, I am hard press to find any journalist or pundits who are placing the blame for this tragedy on the door-step of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck or Sarah Plain.

I am however seeing a lot of Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Plain complaining about being castigated with the mantle of responsibility for these actions.   In fact, I see far more articles and commentary on the defense of the right wing in light of these events, than any left wing commentary blaming them.   It is as if in preparing for the defensive, they have gone on the offensive.

Do they in fact feel guilty that they have stoked the heated political rhetoric to dangerous levels?  Could they be ashamed of these efforts?  Is this a matter of "If the shoe fits, throw at the first person coming through the door?"   Perhaps they are breathing a sigh of relief as the suspect in this case does appear to be for all intents and purposes, "apolitical".  I can imagine that they are hoping against hope that nowhere in his possessions does he have a foot-locker full of Glenn Beck books, and Sarah Plain bumper stickers.

Yet by calling attention to the issue of how deplorable it is to politicize this tragedy, aren't they by virtue politicizing it themselves? 

Perhaps I am wrong.  Perhaps I have not dug deep enough find these journalist and pundits who are blaming Sarah Plain Granted it's not a fulltme job for me, I do have to work and help raise a family.   Could it be that Palin is upset that people have pointed out the web-site with cross-hairs over Congressional districts?  It was a stupid thing to put on a web-site.   Given these events it is unfortunate as well.  But did she really think people would not comment on it?  You've got cross-hairs...and there was a shooting.  What did she expect??   But pointing that out simply affirms that is in poor taste.  It is not an accusation that in doing so Palin have given the green-light to these shootings.  

Nor is it a green-light for Palin or anybody else to claim victimhood and attempt to eclipse the attention on the real tragedy.   To do so, it would seem to me, would be to truly try and politicize these events.

No comments:

Post a Comment